The Operational Programme "Transport" 2000-2006 (OP Transport) in Italy has been shaped to pursue a specific aim of the Community Support Framework (CSF) namely, satisfy the need of:
- ensuring material and immaterial links to support the development of Southern Italy and the improvement of its competitiveness factors;
- addressing the demand of mobility and communication towards more efficient transport modes sustainable under the economic, social and environmental point of view.
Moreover, the Operational Programme's development strategy has been built in coherence with two other programming act, which are:
- the Operational Instruments for Southern Italy (SOM),
- the General Transports and Logistics national Plan (PGTL).
where the former act designs the implementation of the latter one in Southern Italy , in a close relationship with the financial provisions of the CSF.
The national programming strategy in the field of transport can be represented as a continuous path which:
- starts from (at the same level) the Community Support Framework (financial planning) and the National Transport and Logistics General Plan (transport planning);
- comes through the Operational Instruments for Southern Italy , defining how to use structural funds resources to finance infrastructures in the Objective 1 area of the country;
- ends up in the Operational Programme "Transport" which translate in actions and real projects the strategy drawn before.
The overall National and Regional Transport OP overlapping interventions have been checked by related Managing Authorities. An assessment of coherence and coordination among transport planning documents (PGTL, SOM, PRT) at national and regional level have been completed for the following regions:
The Managing Authority of OP Transport is Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport - General Department for Programming.